Shetland

Shetland

Monday, April 6, 2015

Shetland-arrival


I thought that I would have this blog up and running before now. I arrived in Shetland on April 1. (No, this is not an April Fools joke). Right now all of my senses are on overload. I will write more -but can’t now.
I have been posting short goings on to my facebook page and copied them below. More when I come back to earth. Thank you for your patience.


April 1

I'm here...finally!!! view from the studio






April 2

 haven't worked with acrylic for quite awhile-edges are tricky-but it felt really good to push paint around-not the best photo and might go back into it-or not. On a warning note to artists travelling to residencies over the pond, going through UK security: when they ask what you will be doing: do NOT answer with 'working' or 'residency' -instead, say 'painting' and 'retreat' otherwise they will think you want to establish residency and employment there-they don't like that-they REALLY don't like that.'Shetland 1, acrylic and gesso on canvas, 12x12in copyright Jan Yates 2015



April 3

A walk around Scalloway








April 4

when I returned from the walk, I found some feathers on the stone rail-and a feather trail in the water-was there a battle?-survivors? made a portal just in case...the wet feathers put me in mind of fish...







 Below you will find writings from a residency (2012) at the Tyrone Guthrie centre in Ireland


No comments:

Post a Comment