Shetland

Shetland

Friday, April 13, 2012

we ARE nature




 Today I packed up my sketchbook and camera and set off on  a hike.

It was suggested that for my first walk I stay on the road around the lake until I get my bearings as one can easily become lost in this vast lush land.  Of course I soon veered from the road because I was entranced by an opening path leading into mysterious woods. 


The path was well worn and I eagerly followed it and soon felt wonder as a child feels. And it was again a surreal, otherworldly sensation. So coupled with the curiosity we all have in wanting to keep going along a road to see what is to come, I went in.


The earth was damp and light with sponge grass-moss and surrounding me were dense rows of evergreens standing straight on thick brown needle-carpets. 
With a few feet between the lowest branches and ground-carpet  I was tempted to crawl through to the other side. Come to think of it an Alice in Wonderland mood prevailed through out the whole adventure. A sense of ‘alive’ was all consuming-I seemed to hear the voices of things growing and felt the ancient stories of these knarled, moss laden trees. 








 What I was quite taken with were these larger star-bursts. At first I thought they were Queen Ann’s Lace but they look different-wider with thicker sturdier stalks. I decided to gather these magic wands and suspend them on the branches of fir trees





There were some beautiful linear growths that I have included although I’m not quite sure what they are and do not know what they look like fully dressed-or maybe they’re’ bereft of foliage in spring/summer as well.

I decided to adorn them with some of the star bursts





along the path were clusters of these tall vertical growths with string like curls springing from their tops. 


and was compelled to play with them as well....




It was lovely to see the breeze slowly dismantle my constructions and I couldn’t help but recall Andy Goldsworthy’s profound words:


'We often forget that We ARE Nature. Nature is not separate from us. So when we say we have lost our connection with Nature, we’ve lost our connection with ourselves.'


Once I emerged from  the woods I headed towards the lake and have added some images below. I was  fascinated with the varied and creature-like growths on tree trunks.




(tonight I might have dreams  of green snakes and praying mantises)


The day’s intention was to go for a walk for inspiration then head into the studio to paint. When I got back I realized that I did, in fact, do some art making.

Below, some  scenes of the Tryrone Guthrie Centre,  grounds as well as lake.



















6 comments:

  1. Wow! What a post...gorgeous photos...You did a great job of putting us there with you. I can't get over how pretty it is! I'll be watching to see how the surroundings inspire you. It is a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so envious of you right now and so admiring of your courage in going off to explore this new venture by yourself. Beautiful photos - so much to see and learn and experience while you are there. I wish you every day a new and wonderful surprise and many new dreams to bring back home with you for your work and your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to Ireland. This brigs back memories... Lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you all so much for taking the time to read and for your comments.

    Rhonda I don't know how courageous i am, really it's strange being here alone with silence-and i do miss my partner and my dogs( but i wanted to write a jpurnal to help me when i am back here -hence the blog-also thought others considering applying might get a feel for this mystical and yes very inspiring place-
    Celeste have you applied yet?;-)
    Susan I'm glad the post brought back memories of this lush emerald isle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, so fun to read of your time there--I was at the Guthrie Centre in September and I bet I took the very same walk...it all looks very familiar and dear to my heart. What a great adventure to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jan,

    I'm just reading Rebecca Crowell's comments. She and I were there at the same time and how wonderful it is to see some other photos of the places Rebecca and I explored each day together or alone. It was a very nourishing experience and I think you have also found it so.

    ReplyDelete