Shetland

Shetland

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Arrival



It is my first official day at Annaghmakerrig. I arrived yesterday-sleepless and bedraggled from travel. What a culture shock- literally-coming off the jarring sounds of airport bustle-intercoms, loud music, people yelling into cell phones, and, upon boarding the plane, it was my good fortune to be seated in front of a colicky baby. After arriving in Dublin it was another two hour bus ride to Moneghan and then a twenty minute taxi ride to this otherworldly place. The bus and taxi were a wonderful transition with  windows framing these vast changing skies and rolling green hills. There is nothing constant about the skies in Ireland, and they are good at keeping secrets. They will turn deep indigo and throw heavy rain without warning – and as if nothing happened they then turn cerulean blue with brilliant white clouds. People here talk about going into thin places, where edges between here and there merge-I think it is reflected in these  skies. 

On his death in 1971, Sir Tyrone Guthrie willed this house and grounds to the Irish state on the condition that it should become a retreat for artists of all disciplines. The state through both Arts Councils has honoured this gift. The self catering cottages-one of which I am staying-was added to facilitate writers and artists who prefer to create in a slightly more separate location than the ‘Big House’, but in the peace and quiet of Annaghmakerrig.


I’ve read about the ‘big house’, and anticipated the first impression upon driving up to the gate-but to be honest, in being here it felt surreal and dreamlike.  I wish that I could write how I feel-I am not a writer but want to convey how deeply moved I am to be in such a place. All I have to do here is what I’ve always wanted to do. Work. When I want. Without deadlines. Without responsibilities. It is 1:30  AM and I don’t have to feel guilty for staying up late. I can sleep in if I so choose. I can go for a walk down to the lake if I so choose. I can go into my studio and paint if I so choose. I can sleep all day tomorrow if I so choose. But I won’t as want a good start on hiking and painting and seeing what tomorrow brings.



 Ireland 1, April, 8x10in, acrylic on canvas 2012
Today I spent some time in the studio  unpacking paints and preparing canvas. I was unfolding my easel to make sure it was in working order and looked out the window and was enchanted by the trees beyond-wee spirit trees merging with the sky. So above is a warm up. Although I did smuggle my oil paints (more in another post) this is painted with acrylic.





Below are some interiors of my farmhouse cottage and also the studio














5 comments:

  1. a lovely inaugural painting and the studio/ cottage is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made it! what an adventure. It looks a good place to create, a good painting to start the journey. You do write well I did get a feeling of the busy airport, tiring travel, noise and then the quiet journey to the retreat through veils of sky filled beauty. I have travelled around Ireland many years ago it does have it's own beauty that is quite unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic, ssooo jealous - do enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how inspiring...and what a wonderful experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Jan,

    Hey, same house that Rebecca Crowell stayed in there last fall! I'm going to read your other posts as well now.

    ReplyDelete