Shetland

Shetland

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

noise of life






 Away, beeswax/oil on canvas, 8x10in, 2012


As I sit here at the end of a long day in the studio, the birds are making their last calls for the evening and I am craving my birds. my robins, my mockingbirds, my wee yellow finches-I am missing my dogs, my own land. As beautiful as it is here, as the saying goes, there’s no place like home. This is the first day that I’ve been feeling homesick and it’s to be expected I suppose.

What I didn’t expect was to feel my Mother's presence here–she is with me always-on my walks, in the studio, evenings in the big house sharing food and good ‘craic’. I realized that the noise of life can muffle our inner voice,  and distort our ability to listen. When it is silenced,  the soul speaks about what is truly relevant. 


Annaghmakerrig walk, oil on canvas, 8x10in, 2012


Although I have just more than a week left here, I feel that I’ve accomplished what I set out to do. It was to be a time of transition, to find my way-perhaps a new way. I have also surprized myself in regards to what I wanted to learn. I will continue to learn about Ireland-the people, the land, the myth, the song.



 
Did you get good work done?? Did you work today??
This is the first thing the artists and writers ask -almost before ‘hello’. To be around like minds and only like minds twenty four hours a day is something that still amazes me. I will miss that.




So after writing this post I don’t feel such a pining for home anymore




1 comment:

  1. I hope you can soak up every experience there - to take back home with you when you are missing there (seems like I'm always missing the place I am not!!). Lovely work, lovely post :) And yes, an artistic group living and working together is really a gift.

    ReplyDelete